Tribute to R K Laxman Sir

Rasipuram Krishnaswamy Laxman better known as R K Laxman, passed away peacefully on 26th Jan 2015. He was 94 year old. R K Laxman was a cartoonist for the Times of India (TOI) for many decades. He had no formal training but his work speaks for itself. He groomed a "common man" (a character from his cartoon strip, "You Said It"). His brother was legendary writer R K Narayan. R K Laxman drew cartoon for Malgudi Days (written by his brother). R K Laxman worked with TOI till 2010 (He was 89 years then). When he suffered yet another stroke, which left him paralysed, he stopped cartooning. This was the only way he could have been stopped from his passion of cartooning.

I have a special link with the legend. As early as I remember, TOI comes to our house and I always look for the comic strip in the right hand side of the front page. In my early days though I couldn't understand the deep political satire (Laxman sir was master in it), the cartoon would make my day. My father is also a huge fan of Laxman sir. So he would bring his comic collection books for me, so i could copy the cartoons and send those cartoons as handmade greetings card in new years eve. I continued making handmade new years greetings card till 3rd year of B.Tech. Then that art left me. I was too matured and I judged my work from a critics point of view. After Laxman sir, I followed many contemporary artists like Satish Acharya and Ajit Nian. Though the technology and people behind cartoon has grown many folds, but it couldn't detach itself from its origin. Many considered Laxman sir as the Vishmapitamah of Cartoonists in India and they were absolutely right in their thought.

A cartoonist lives in the heart of the reader. You will live in my heart till eternity. My soulful respect to you. RIP sir.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Last Stand

Superannuation Post

RIP the Legend